Ladyjam Blog

My Joy, my Pride, my Tears all on a Blog!!

Monday, June 11, 2007

History


I was a history student at high school, I read about all the great world wars and great leaders.
At that time my dream was to become the first woman president is South Africa, not that I undermined the then leadership, but because I wanted history to remember me. The dream to become a president has since died, but my passion to make history has not.

Speaking of History.....I have learned a lot about the South African history in the month of June, by coincidence though. I visited 3 of the most popular museums in South Africa recently.

I always thought that a museum was just a display of old "things", I was in for a big eye-opener and as I discovered that I was wrong.

When I visited the Hector Peterson Museum and the Nelson Mandela Museum I found the experience very emotional and humbling. I realised how blessed I am to live in democratic country. I learned the true value of my freedom.

A Week later I visited the Apartheid museum, south of Johannesburg, it was on youth day, the 16th of June. Like the other trip it was unplanned. The experience was even more intense.

I looked at the pictures and watched the movies and only then....I started to understand the pain that Apartheid caused for my people.

I am glad that I speak of Apartheid as history and my hope is for it to stay that way, and I hope that it not just on our calendars but also in hearts that Apartheid seize to exist

No comments: