Ladyjam Blog

My Joy, my Pride, my Tears all on a Blog!!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why should i vote



I am glad the election season is over, for a moment there South Africans forgot about the rainbow nation that is if the rainbow nation is not just an illusion. The level of tolerance for one another was shocking..... name calling was 'normal'...... i watched in amazement as all the political party leaders said the most horrifying things, they made it their mission to expose shortcomings of the opposition and this was evident with the open toilet saga - pheww!!

Politics is dirty business’, that's what my history teacher used to say, and it gets worse when race is dragged into the picture - I admit that it is impossible in South Africa and perhaps in most parts on the world world for race not to be a factor is politics, this is due to the history of oppression of people with a darker skin color – let me hold is there, as this is an issue I do not wish to discuss on this platform.

My problem is that, I get a feeling that in all the elections , especially the local municipality elections, people are ‘incited’ to feel that they have an obligation to vote for their 'freedom' instate of voting for service delivery, which is the issue at hand. I don’t know if I am making sense, but with democracy being relatively new (for blacks) and there is a lingering 'fear', fuelled by political parties, that they people will lose their freedom if they don't vote 'correct'.....So voting becomes a 'safe guarding' measure for their valued Freedom…….in other words, to hell with service delivery.

Honestly, I feel that the ruling party has reached a political ‘comfort zone’ – I think they don’t see a need to deliver the necessary services to the community, especially poor communities because come voting time – all they need to do is 'tell' people to for Mandela, or Biko's legacy, people are reminded of the pain of the struggle.

I do not wish to disregard the efforts, struggle, pain and suffering of our struggle heroes, I do not wish to take away anything from what they fought so hard for – I for one,is very grateful for the freedom I enjoy today, but SA citizens deserves far better than what we are getting, let me say the poor, the unemployed, crime victims and tax payers deserve way better than what the government is offering or willing to do!!

I want to live, to see the day when leaders will serve their communities to the fulfilment of their promises (manifesto) – I want leaders to stop this silly power struggle and start working towards creating a better South Africa – so that when we vote for them, we get our vote’s worth!!



For now, i aint voting for no ONE!!

No comments: